Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum 4.5kg Calor to FloGas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience of changing from Calor to FloGas. The marina I am currently at is telling us 4.5kg Calor is no longer available and is now only supplying FloGas. Is this common elsewhere, or are other options being offered.

Peter

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Hi Peter, where is your current gas bottle located? Is there space for a different size cylinder. I suspect if your have space for the alternative size bottle it might just be the regulator. If you check the RYA website there is some useful info on there.
    Mike

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Hi Mike.

My two 4.5kg bottles are located in one of my cockpit lockers in a box with a bottom vent. The box could take a single larger Calor gas bottle but then I am stuck when I am away when it runs out.  The 4.5kg FloGas bottle is in the same sized bottle as the 4.5kg Calor bottle so I could continue to use the same box provided I buy the replacement regulator. My marina is offering to swap the Calor bottle for a FloGas bottle. I am though concerned that when I cruise around the FloGas is not so readily available. I suppose the read question is; Are other gas suppliers doing the same and changing from Calor to FloGas, or are other suppliers offering other alternatives?

Peter

Just looked at the FloGas website    https://www.flogas.co.uk/ they say they have more depots across the country than any other lpg supplier if true you should be ok. Also have a good variety of bottle sizes available.

Graham

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

The saga goes on. Calor say they are going to fill bottles again, but not replacing bottles when out of date. In the mean time FloGas have been so overwhelmed that they also have a supply issue. Am I the only one with this problem? PBO are offer a very mixed message. It’s going to be cold turkey for Christmas!

Linda NixonLinda Nixon
    Keymaster

Peter,

Calor Gas is phasing out the smaller bottles this year. You need to seek advice from a ‘marine gas fitter’, or try to accommodate the larger bottles in a new gas locker.

Chris

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

I now have two 4.5kg flogas bottles installed with a new regulator. The Scottish marinas appear to all have a good supply of gas and now I have two bottles, gaining replacement gas at £25 to £30 has been relatively easy. The only problem now is what do I do with my two empty Calor bottles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.