Home Noticeboard The General Forum Blocked from FaceBook Macwester Group Why?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leonard BADDELEYLeonard BADDELEY
    Participant

I used to be on the FB Macwester Group, that was until would not sell my Wight 30 to Cat Mantra (Matthew Alexandra real name) who is one of the five administrators of the group. The reason for not selling my Wight was, I was told by someone that knew Cat, he only wanted the boat to strip out the engine/gearbox that has only done 375 hours and put it in his Westerly. So I am blocked, why? Cat Mantra does not even have a Macwester, but seems to be able to sway the other admin members that I should be blocked. I have messaged Aitch Wilkins, to ask why but had no reply, I now see that other MOA committee members are also on the admin of the FB group. Please tell me why I am blocked, and why someone that does not have a Macwester is on the admin of the group. If you cannot give me an answer, I see no reason to be a member of this association. I feel very aggrieved by the action of the FB group admin. I still have my Wight, and have been working hard on it all this year and hope to have it back in the water next year. I await a reply on the forum. Leonard Baddeley

Linda NixonLinda Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi Leonard,
    The Facebook page is nothing to do with the Macwester Owners Association.
    It was set up independently by people who owned or liked Macwester boats, and who use it as a forum
    to share information, photographs, or to ask for advice from other like minded Mac owners.
    I contribute to the Facebook page as it is widely used by both our members and non-members, and I
    use it to publicise the benefits of becoming a member of the MOA.

I am sorry that you feel you should leave the MOA because of this issue, but there is nothing the
    committee can do as it is an independent group. The benefits of remaining a member, however, are many.
    First hand knowledge when a question is posted on this Forum (from members who have built Macwesters),
    discounted insurance and goods from MOA supporting companies, a membership card that gives you visitor
    access to Yacht Clubs around our coastline and a twice yearly Journal magazine packed with information.
    We hold rallies and an annual AGM (at which we would love to see you).

Your issue seems to be with a person who is not a member of the Macwester Owners Association, and I am
    unable to make any comment about what happened when you tried to sell your boat. What I am pleased about
    is the attention and care you have lavished on your Mac this year, and I hope this leads you to many more
    years of great sailing aboard.

Linda
    Commodore

Leonard BADDELEYLeonard BADDELEY
    Participant

Hello Linda, thank your for your response to my post, but I am afraid I have to disagree. The Association may not be directly involved in the FB group, but it was set up by Association members in the first place. Face book shows four of the people who are on the administration of the group are members of the Association, Aitch Wilkins, Mike Howard, Andrew Reed and yourself. Cat Mantra set a similar group, then when it was pointed out to him there was already a FB group for Macwester owners/sailors, he joined the existing group and was allowed onto the admin of the group. Cat Mantra, did have a Mac 27, but sold it, he now has a Westerly, so why is this man still making decisions that exclude me from the group? I feel very aggrieved about the whole situation. I love my Macwester and have spent the best part of five years working to get it back in good condition, and could contribute a great deal of knowledge to the FB group, but are unable to do so. Please tell me why the other members of the FB admin allow Cat Manta to have me band from the group. If you all dislike me so much, then say so and I will go away.

Linda NixonLinda Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi Leonard.
    Its true that Aitch set up a Macwester Facebook page many years ago but we then discovered that there were actually three or four similar sites, one which had a great many followers that had been created by Cat. It seemed simpler, for those searching for a Mac Facebook group, to combine the two main sites and Cat offered to oversee this page. He has never been an MOA member and does this voluntarily. It does not matter whether he has a Macwester boat or not as the Facebook group is nothing to do with the Association – it is for anyone who has an interest in our lovely boats.

Another reason that the Committee members withdrew is that anyone can post advice on this group, and some of the advice and information posted by contributors was not actually correct. As committee members we felt that some Facebook users may, following advice, do something drastic to their boats and hold the MOA responsible.

As a member of the MOA you can use this Forum on our website to ask questions and post photos or information. The posts can be read, and responded to, by all full paying members, and they go straight to Bob (who actually worked at Macwester Yachts and built these boats) and to Chris (who runs a marina and boat repairs centre, and who has years of experience building and repairing yachts). They will offer factual and practical advice and help.

You also have the Journal to talk about your Macwester and we would truly love for you to share the progress you have made over the past five years restoring your boat, especially with ‘before’ and ‘after’ photographs. Be assured, you are a valued member of our Association and this Forum and the Journal would benefit from your contributions.

Linda
    Commodore

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.