Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Crack in Deck/Hull Joint

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sam NyeSam Nye
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been looking at 26-28′ bilge keel boats and have recently viewed a couple of Macwester 27’s.

There is one I’m keen on and have been to visit to see the outside but not able to get inside for a week. There is one area worrying me. There are cracks either side of the forestay chain plate, at what I assume is the joint between the deck and the hull. I originally posted this on YBW and they pointed me this way….I have included the link as there are photo’s at the top of the discussion…

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/cracking-hull-deck-joint.549033/

I’d really appreciate some opinions, apart from this the boat seems just what I’m after. Is this a big deal? Is it likely just cosmetic and i can fix it myself or is it likely a huge issue. The price and my plans are such that I don’t mind spending some time/money getting it sorted, but I do not have deep pockets!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi there.
    Several Macs seem to suffer from this problem, including mine. I solved this problem by attaching a stay from the tail of the bow roller down to a u bolt fitted above the waterline using a bottle screw with the same tension on as you have on your rigging.
    Send me your email and I will send you pictures of mine.

Sam NyeSam Nye
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for the info. I’ve sent you an email.

Cheers, Sam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.