Home Noticeboard Sailing & Cruising Forum Drying out Legs for Rowan Crown?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    George BrannanGeorge Brannan
    Participant

Hello all, I hope everyone is enjoying the season so far, regardless of the weather! Does anyone know where I could purchase a set of Drying out legs for my 24 Rowan Crown? Thanks, George,

Hi George, I am not sure where you could buy a pair but I know several people who have made them including myself. I only use mine on very rare occasions when I take the ground with minimal tidal flow such as a quiet bay or off the club hard so I haven’t put too much strain on them. It is vital that your boat’s weight is on its keel, i.e. the legs are slightly too short. If you are interested in making your own I can outline how I made mine for my Rowan 22′. Hope this helps.

Participant

Thanks a lot Bernie. Yes I would only be looking for the legs to be strong enough for a very rare support for drying out when needed or to help on the hard storage over the Winter break when craned out after which I could get extra support, etc. I have actually seen owners use Scaffolding bars for other boats in my home harbour. The crucial part of the structure would of course be the top connection to the Gunnels/ Rubbing strip part of the boat. Many Thanks, George.

Participant

Hello Bernie. Do you need my e.mail for the outline plans you mentioned. I think it’s on my profile. Anyway here it is. georgeleonid6@btinternet.com Thanks, George.

Participant

Hello, Hello, Bernie. I’d thought you were giving me the outline plans for the drying out legs for Rowan Crown? Anyway, I hope that you’re health is good! If it’s too much trouble it’s OK. I can probably work out something to suit. Regards, George.

Hi George, I hope you saw my email outlining how I built my beaching legs. I don’t think I ever mentioned plans but they are so simple I am sure you will be able to work something out.

Participant

Sorry Bernie, could not find your e.mail about legs, but will double check. When did you send it? Regards, George.

Hi George, herewith the text of the email. I sent it on 29th August and again today so please do let me know if you don’t receive it.

It is less plans than a method I was referring to.

With my boat ashore, I took a 4″ fence post, rested it,upright, against the hull at about midships and stuck on battens to indicate the curve of the hull between the rubbing strake and the waterline. I then made a curved section out of 4″ stock to match the battens. I glued and screwed this to the post. I put a stainless M20 bolt through this about 3″ down from the rubbing strake and counter bored the inside to accept a lock nut to keep the bolt in place.

Using the bolt I marked the hul and drilled a 25mm hole. On the inside of the hull I fitted a baulk of wood with an M20 thread extender mounted it in. I made this blind with a short bolt on the inside to stop water getting in.

The leg has an eye on the inside to which I attach a line to hold the leg from fore and aft so that it remains vertical.

On first using the legs I only fitted one so that I could check that the other leg was the right length. It wasn’t so I took 1″ off both legs. This makes them both about 1/2″ short which seem OK on hard standing. I haven’t tried them on soft mud but i do have a couple of 18mm ply feet just in case.

cheers,

Bernie

Participant

Thanks Bernie for the info. No, didn’t receive e.mail. My e.mail is – georgeleonid6@btinternet.com – So you’ve probably got the wrong one. No matter, thanks again. Greatest Regards, George.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.