Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Robert linneyRobert linney
    Participant

Hi All.

Wonder if you can help.

Just bought a macwester 26,and now getting started on getting her in better order.

On lifting the wood floor boards I have noticed quite a bit of water in the cabin just forward of the seats.

However the curent 12v bilge pump is situated further back just under the engine.

The bilge pump works fine,but will not pump out this water,as basically the water would need to “run uphill”back to the pump.

Is this pump in the correct position?I am fairly certain that this is not the original pump,so if anyone can advise where the pump would have been fitted originally it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob Linney

Blue Haze

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi Robert

I am not that familiar with how water lies in the bilges of a Mac 26. Under the engine is the most usual place to have a pump as this is where most of the water pipes are. It’s not unusual to have a second and even third pump fitted to the low places in the bilges as many bilge areas are separated from each other.

It would advisable to try and find where the bilge water is coming from first. Check all pipes and sea cocks and stern tube. Replace seacocks if there is any sign of wear, and all pipes coming from them. All pipes from seacocks should have double jubilee clips fitted below the waterline and you may well have to repack the stern tube with the appropriate packing. Put fresh grease in the greaser too.

Chris

Technical Officer

Charles CurtisCharles Curtis
    Participant

I am working on restoring the same. The boat I have has two bilge pumps. One aft under the engine, and one just forward of the seats. I can get you a picture later if you would like.

Robert linneyRobert linney
    Participant

The water in the bilges is almost certainly rainwater,as the only noticeable increase in the amount is after heavy rain.

Blue Haze is currently afloat full time,so looking to replace the seacocks towards the spring time,when I will find a place to either beach her,or have her lifted out.If Charles could get some pictures to me regarding the postioning of the bilge pumps on his Macwest it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Participant

Rob,

Will do. I’ll dig through my pictures later today to see if I have any already. Otherwise I’ll climb up there when it eventually stops raining…

I’m planning on a full refurbishment of the plumbing and electrical systems. The bilge pumps as installed are only manually controlled (no automatic switch).

Chuck

Participant

Rob,

Attached is an image of my forward bilge pump. It isn’t currently working properly (as can be seen by the water in the bilge). I also have a manual bilge pump that takes suction from that frame. The bilge pump discharges (when it is actually working) from behind the head.

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.