Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Mac Wester Wight MKII 32 cable between mast – tension?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David TOUSSAINTDavid TOUSSAINT
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’ve acquired a Mac Wight MKII 32′ last November. It is now back in water and we’re checking details.

There is a stainless steel cable running from the main mast, across pulleys at the tips and running down to the mizzen mast foot. The fitting end is currently attached in a crazy way with a puley mounted up side down and a rope expected to apply some tension, but impractical as the rope gets stuck between the puley and the cable end fitting when I pulled on it.

I am planning to replace the whole stuff with a regular 12” turnbuckle between the cable fitting and manilla at the foot of the mizzen mast.

The question is: does anyone know how much tension or turns have to be applied on this steel cable?

Thanks beforehand.

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

I have the same arrangement. The mast tensions on my White are primarily achieved by the side stays. I had them professionally tensioned before I crossed the North Sea in 2016 and ever since have check periodically and tensioned them evenly to the same tensions. The mast head to mast head stay however has never been fully tensioned to a specific load. I have a shackle on the mizzen end of the stay which I have tensioned by hand to the front mast cleat drawing it down with 4 to 5 loops before tying off. I have always assumed its purpose is to limit the forward movement of the top of the main mast when using the genoa on a run.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.