Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Mac26 Bilge Keel Damage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dominik MünchDominik Münch
    Participant

Hi everyone,

on getting AMIGA out of the water for the winter we discovered that our portside keel is damaged. The steel plate underneath the keel is somehow rolled up. In summer while sailing in the Weser we ran aground on the mud-flats alongside the fairway. We weren’t stuck, but get afloat quickly again.

Any advise on how to repair this properly? Thanks for your help.

Dom

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Is the metal shoe original. I think I have only got glass fibres at the base of mine.

first thing to do is wash the area down to remove salt water and then dry. I am sure someone else can help with what to do next.
    all the best Peter

Dominik MünchDominik Münch
    Participant

Hi Peter,

I don’t have a clue, if the shoe is original. But nevertheless I have to fix it. I’ve talked to a comrade in our club who is a GRP expert. His advice is to sand down all the “bad” GRP and rebuild it. After that he suggested to mount a new shaped shoe which covers the underside and goes up on the sides for about 5 to 10 cm. This should protect the keels best in our area.

I hope to get it done till spring to be back in the water end of April. If anyone has different solutions let me know.

Dom

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Dominik

How did your keel repair fair this season.

Have you looked searched the journal articles that are now available on the web site. If you search “keel” you will see many articles on the subject of keel repair.

Best regards

Peter

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Amazing how many “keel” references the search picks out from the past journals! What a great resource we now have. 👍

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.