Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum MacWester 27 Techincal Drawings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert BainRobert Bain
    Participant

Hi,

My name is Robert and me and my partner Carla have brought a MacWester 27 (Maybe) and would like some technical drawings for it if possible as it needs a little helping hand in some area’s.

The reason I say “Maybe” is that the surveyor said that normally the 27 has removable bilge keel, this one doesn’t

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Hi Robert, I commented on your Facebook post. Have a look in the Technical library on the members  page. If you search on the 27 class there is quite a bit of info on them.

Hi Robert

The comment on the keels being “removable” is a bit confusing! If he means that the ballast is not placed inside the hull moulding, that is correct for the Macwester 27, and it was the only Macwester to have the cast iron keels fixed to the hull with stainless steel studs. Due to the way that they are installed, I don’t think that it would be possible to remove them without enormous damage to the reinforcement structures inside the hull.

The surveyor is perhaps basing his comment on the fact that it is quite common to have to remove the keel, and replace the bolts on single keel yachts after any incident like running around. They are simply not designed to do that, unlike a twin keel Macwester which is intended to be able to be on a mooring which dries out twice a day with the tides.

If you have any photos of your boat out of the water, especially the central skeg ( under the propeller), and the rudder, that will enable us to identify the model.
    If you can also confirm that you can see the joint between the glass fibre hull moulding, and the cast iron keels.

On the 27, the cast iron keel is clearly visible on the photo (painted with white primer). Inside, if you remove the lower drawer in the galley, you can see one of the stainless steel fastenings which are one inch (25mm) diameter, and the reinforcement of the hull. There are 4 on each keel.

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.