Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Macwester 27 water entry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher LambertChristopher Lambert
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I saw a Macwester (Atlanta) 27 this week, with a view to buying it. I was concerned that the carpet was wet. The broker explained that the automatic bilge pump had been accidentally left off for about a week, which had allowed enough water to accumulate in the bilge to cover the floor. While we were looking at the boat, the automatic bilge pump activated every 15 minutes or so.</p>
    Is this a normal rate of water entry? I suspect not. If not, where is it most likely to be coming from… Stern gland? Or seacocks? Should I just walk away, or could it just be a simple fix?

Many thanks from a potential Macwester owner!

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Try the stern gland first then check all the seacocks and pip work

the pump should not come on with out a

reason.
    chris

Lyndeen CalvertLyndeen Calvert
    Participant

There is something seriously a miss as to have enough water to go through the floor(I’m assuming plywood as ours is) and then wet the carpet in only a week.

Unless a lot of rain water is getting in through cockpit area hatches.  Assuming its been heavy rain a week before veiwing. As Chris said the stern gland and seacocks.

Cocabana’s custodian

The stern gland, when at rest, after a couple of turns on the grease cup, should not leak at all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.