Home Noticeboard The General Forum Macwester virgin needs advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris ProwChris Prow
    Participant

Hi

ive been looking at westerly pentland and similar and my partner came across a lovely macwester mk1 31 ketch. I know nothing of these boats and can find little info beyond the basics. Can anyone tell me the capabilities of this boat (blue water or not), any info would help- on looks alone I am in love with it but how good is it for cruising?

Ben DallimoreBen Dallimore
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Sorry to be long in replying, been rather busy latrely. I have a Mark 2 which I love, (inspite of her failings). She’s a wonderful cruising boat, very easy to work on and cheep to run. I’ve found mine to be very reliable. First, the down sides. She is very poor to windward, but it’s a motor sailer so I suppose that’s OK. There is not much room below, the main saloon is very small. HOWEVER – She’s very easy to sail short handed, I do most of my sailing by myself. She’s very good in bad weather, I motorsailed mine south around Ardnamurchan Point in force 8+ last year without any trouble at all. The bilge keels make her very easy to beach. The galley is very good, lots of room there. Lots of storage space too. I’ve had her for nearly 30 yeaars, lived full time aboard for ten and she’s always ‘seen me right’. Never had a moments quarlms about her at sea. Had the mainsail blown out once off Malin Head but it was blowing about force 7 wind over tide waves a good 20 to 30 feet. Never shipped a drop. Good boat. Let me know if there’s anything else that you want to know.

Ben

MacWester Wight Mk 2 ‘Petra of Lleyn’

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.