Home Noticeboard Sailing & Cruising Forum Optimal RPM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Charles TilleyCharles Tilley
    Participant

I have a Volvo Perkins MD30A 1986 engine on my Macwester Seaforth 36.  I have asked many people but have so far not been able to get an answer as to the optimum RPM for speed and fuel economy.  I would welcome views.
    Thanks   Charles

Thanks.  Charles Tilley

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Hi Charles, my Seaforth has a BMC so can’t advise on a Volvo. However on a calm day with a reasonably calm sea I just motored in my Seaforth keeping an eye on the engine revs and boat speed. There comes a point when extra revs don’t actually make the boat go faster. To me that is the optimum point and I just knock the engine back a couple hundred RPMs now when using the motor.

Participant

Thanks Mike.  With your BMC engine and a flat sea what is your optimal speed?

Best wishes

Charles

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Seabird will do around 6 knots with a clean hull motoring.
    Best regards

Mike

Participant

Thanks Mike.  Very helpful.  Brizo does 5 knots but I think I am being very conservative on RPM at 1700.

Best wishes

Charlex

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

I have a White II which has an Optimal speed of about 4.5kt at 1800 revs. At that speed I average about 1.9lts/hr.  If I pick the speed up to 6kt at 2200 revs the fuel consumption goes up to about 2.5lts/hr.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.