Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Portlight gasket renewal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have a leaking portlight on the starboard side of our Wight Class Mk1 Ketch, I would like to change the rubber gasket on the opening light.I would like to know if anyone has done this and can suggest suppliers of replacement gasket. Also any tips on tackling the job would be appreciated.

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Linda NixonLinda Nixon
    Keymaster

As our boats are nearly 50 years old I doubt you will be able to replace with new.

If you take the window to a window supplier, they may be able to fix it using a material they have available.

Or a car repairers that do older type cars, including window replacements.

Also, try looking at the website of Walker Rubber in Norwich.

Chris – Technical Officer

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

The rubber seal you show looks similar to the 14.5mm dia. gasket I have for my fuel filter. I will have to look how my boats porthole is sealed.

Paul StevensPaul Stevens
    Participant

Buy some appropriately sized expanded neoprene cord , cut it to size and join the two ends together with superglue and fit in place with a decent contact adhesive.

I’ve sealed my square westerly type windows this way and so far 2 years down the line they don’t leak.

Try these people seals plus direct. They have a decent website.

Many thanks Paul for your suggestion, will try that.

Graham Postlethwaite

Following Paul’s suggestion I bought a few meters of expanded neoprene cord, after trying a few thicknesses I settled on the 8mm size – had a 1m length which would probably be sufficient for 3 portlights. Used super glue and “tacked” it around and on the existing “compressed” seal and has been perfect.

Got mine from http://www.hilltop-products.co.uk

Graham

Paul StevensPaul Stevens
    Participant

Glad it worked Graham.

Its a good fix and makes a great seal. You can use it for all sorts of things.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.