Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Removing the water tanks Wight 30

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leonard BADDELEYLeonard BADDELEY
    Participant

I have a strange feeling that the water tanks on my 1970/71 Wight 30, used to be fuel tanks! Why, well my Wight has two quite new fuel tanks, that are fitted aft, the water tanks are behind the saloon bulkheads, and both have large removable inspection plates. When a bought the boat, the then owner said the starboard water tank had been cleaned, and only that tank was connected to the water system on the boat. The water from the tank looked fine, but I have never tasted it. Question did the original fuel tanks have inspection plates, or did the water tanks? Maybe I should take the inspection cover of the port side tank and have a look.  As it is, I would like to remove the tanks and fit a smaller tanks/tank to make room for a diesel night heater. Or maybe cut away part of the port side tank, and make it a platform for my three batteries and the night heater and its fuel tank, and to try and balance the hull. Anyone, have any thoughts on the subject?

Len.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi Len

Some water tanks do have inspection hatchs.
    You can not turn a fuel tank in to a water tank. Does the water smell or taste when you make tea or coffee? There are lots of places you can put an eberspacher but it must be close to the hull side as the exhaust can only be about two feet long. It can run off the domestic battery but needs to be charged up. An auto charger is a must!

The two original fuel tanks were made of mild steel, painted red oxide, either side of the engine.

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Hi Len

• Like you describe my Wight has its two original water tanks either side of the engine compartment with newer stainless steel fuel tanks behind. They each holed about 50 litres, which is usually enough for a week away. I keep the tap between the water tanks nearly closed so they don’t slosh about when tacking, but enough to drain to the pump when drawing water and filling, without needing to keep adjusting the tap. My system has an electric drawing pump and carbon filter, and is fit to drink.
      My eberspatcher is higher than the tanks so it can exhaust just below the gunnels
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.