Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Restarting the engine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Adeline BéoutisAdeline Béoutis
    Participant

Hello,

our Mac wester’s engine hasn’t been running for a long time. The mechanic changed the valves of the pump but it is also necessary to change the injectors.  Do you think it’s worth pursuing repair costs? Is it possible changing the inboard motor? Could an outboard motor be a solution in your opinion?

Many thanks in advance for your advice. We hope to see our Macwester re-sailing very soon,

Adeline and Alain, from France

(our Macwester has been sailing on a freshwater lake since 1991)

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi repair or renew the the engine but I don’t

recommend an out board

What make is the engine how old

Leonard BADDELEYLeonard BADDELEY
    Participant

I guess it all comes down to what make the engine is. If it is BMC engine then spares plentiful and the cost will not break the bank, if an old Petter, spare are about, and quite low cost, if it is Beta, spares are again not a problem, maybe a little more expensive than a BMC, if it is  Yanmar, the  spare are going to be quite expensive, if it is a Volvo, then get a bank loan.  As to an outboard, it all depend on the size of the boat, but I would not be happy having a lot of petrol on board. Remember, a large engine does not mean more speed. To see the ideal size engine for your boat, go to https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php,  there is a calculator for boat hull type, and engine,  but remember a sail boat is a displacement/semi displacement hull, not a planing hull, well in the case of a Macwester. I used that calculator when I re-engined my Snapdragon 747, and it was spot on.

Len.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.