Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael mcHughMichael mcHugh
    Participant

I need to replace the rubbing strake on my mac 26. Any ideas where i can get on on the south coast? Based Newhaven.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Presumably your rubbing strake is made of wood and not rubber, rebated to cover the join in the hull.
    You need to go to a timber yard or boatyard who can Do repairs to wooden boats. Take a sample of your old rubbing strake and they can produce wood lengths with a matching shape.
    This will than have to be bolted on.
    Or you could replace it using a B Section rubber with a stainless steel middle. This only needs to be screwed on with stainless steel Self tappers from the outside. This methods eliminates having to take all the linings down inside to locate the bolts and also does not need treating like wood does each year.
    You can buy this rubber from various outlets such as Walker Rubber (Norwich). Do some research online.
    I did the rubber option on mine and it still looks great 20 years on.

If you are looking to keep the original look with wood, the only way to really cure that is to rip it all off, drill down about 5 mm into each and all of the ( once upon a time) galvanised bolts, fill in with epoxy mastic. Then fit the new rubbing strake ( ideally in 2 “layers”, as the original, to help you to follow the curve), polyurethane glue, and 400 ss self tapping screws.
    I wrote a full article on this in the journalAutumn 2006 , and it was republished last year.

Bob Tuffnell

Participant

Thank you both for your replies.I’ll look into the B Section option. i’m more concerned about leaks and damage to the gel coat than looks.

Participant

Chris do you have the measurements handy for the b extrusion? Assuming it was for a mac 26. Michael.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi

Contact Walker rubber in Norwich they have

this product in all sizes

the 26 had wood initially but rubber lasts

longer with no maintenance

chris

Participant

Thanks Chris. I have been in touch and they want to know how many metres I need. I hoped you might have your original measurements to double check any I might make.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

What is the actual Mac that you have?

You said ‘assuming it was a 26’, so it’s not clear. Usually whatever size of boat it is, I allow an extra metre each side plus the transom.

Chris

Participant

A mac 26, built in 1970.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.