Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael mcHughMichael mcHugh
    Participant

The Samson post on my MacWester 26 is rusty and covered in old paint but seems to be solid with no leaks. Hamerite didn’t do any good, so I got some rust off with a chisel and steel wool but it is still rusty. What is the best way to prepare it for painting and what paint should I use? Any advice appreciated. I’d post a photo if anyone can tell me how.

Toby LineToby Line
    Participant

I would recommend using red oxide before painting it. However I have seen Chandler’s selling a substance that apparently reacts with rust to form something solid.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

You have 3 options to tackle this problem:
    1. Take it off, throw it away and have one made in stainless steel. You will have no more problems.
    2. Remove it and have it shot blasted and galvanised. This will make it last for a good number of years.
    3. Get a grinding wheel with small grinder and get all the rust off. You may have to use a wire brush on an electric drill as well. Give it a couple of coats of Rustex or a similar rust kill compound, then red oxide and then two or three coats of gloss paint. However, ropes may rub off the paint and it will rust again.
    Chris
    Technical Officer

Michael mcHughMichael mcHugh
    Participant

Thank you Chris.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.