Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum seacocks in the heads

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Martin SurreyMartin Surrey
    Participant

I would be grateful for any advice on the type and size of the seacocks in a Macwester 30. Mine seem jammed solid so any advice on replacing them would be very welcome. Thanks.

MartinS

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi

You need to replace the same size as the existing with DZR marine grade ball valve type .

Always  replace the skin fitting and tail as well.

You need to put two s/s clips below the water line .

(the taps are marked with the size).

chris

I agree with Chris.
    Don’t forget the option of reinforced  plastic, alternative to DZ or bronze. (Marine quality bronze is so expensive that it’s not really an option!).

After years of corrosion, there is virtually no way that you can unscrew the valve from the skin fitting, so simply  get an angle grinder to work on the mushroom head of the outside. Go carefully, not letting it get too hot, and concentrate on the middle. Stop at the first sight of gelcoat. When you have a full circle of plastic visible, you can prise off the collar outside, and drive the threaded part inside the hull.

Martin SurreyMartin Surrey
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help. I am in London and would like to take a new seacock with me when I go down to Devon to replace it. Would you perhaps know the spec I need ? ie size, diameter etc. Thanks again.

Sorry for the late reply.

pretty certain that it is 1 1/2” for the outlet, for 38mm inside diameter hose.

Its worth looking at ASAP Supplies to get good quality stuff at acceptable prices. I believe that they give discount to MOA members.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/fittings-valves-strainers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.