Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Seaforth stern gland challenge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>As with many jobs on these classic vessels they get more complicated after you start. All I wanted to do was repack the stern gland. Nuts broke up in pieces unscrewing them, one stud sheared and the other is corroded and ready to snap. Any tips on getting the old studs out?</p>

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Pictures of my predicament

You must be logged in to view attachments.

That is a tricky one, Mike.

I think that I would first try to clean up the grease, and ( if you feel that it is safe to do so) , get a welding torch to heat up the remains of the studs, then quickly cool them with a jet of cold water. With a bit of luck that could break the “seal”, and enable you to unscrew them with a long-nosed Mole wrench.

Otherwise cut the studs back as near as possible to the casting, and drill out the rest of the thread of the stud. No need to re-tap, as you can use a bolt to hold the stuffing box in place.

If  you do manage to unscrew the stud, T Norris Marine can supply the replacement stud and nuts assy.

Best of luck ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.