Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Has anyone got any information about sailing in the Dutch Wadden Sea. I am planning to sail there next summer. I am looking for places where I might anchor or beach with my MacWester Wight. Also does anyone have any tips.
    Peter

Peter BosmanPeter Bosman

Better late than never 🙂 Vlieland is nice, the east side. Keep track of the tide. I should start at an Harbour. Terschelling is a good starting point, talk to the skippers of the ‘brown fleet’ or the locals. They will be pleased to help.

I might be late but I just joined the club.

Peter Bosman
    The Netherlands

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

We sailed on the Wadden Sea last summer. West Terschelling was in the middle of its festival and boats were rafted 7 deep. See my account in the Autumn 2017 Journal. As you say the locals were very helpful and saw quite a few MacWesters in Noorderat Marina in Lauwersoog where we left our boat for several weeks.

My boat is currently back in the UK and propose to sail from the Humber to sail the East Coast between Wells to Scarborough this year.

Where are you based. Peter

Peter BosmanPeter Bosman

I live in Bergen, North Holland, but the main water for sailing is mostly on IJsselmeer (lake ijssel) or the Waddenzee. Mostly with hired flat-bottoms or Noordkapers, (seaworthy ships with swingkeel) very beautiful ships but expensive.
    I spent lots of summers sailing as a mate on a Tjalk with guests, now I am in the process of buying a Macwester 32 Sloop. One of the two boats we are interested in is in Lauwersoog.
    The northern Islands like Ameland and Schiermonnikoog are more peaceful. Vlieland has a small harbour, often full during high season. But there is a beautiful beach you can anchor and walk to the island with low tide.
    A lot of the ships that can cross the wadden sea aren’t seaworthy. I think the Macwester is. (and of course you proofed that already).
    My list of places still to visit is long, I visited the UK with an old fishing vessel and had some adventures near Orford.

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

We didn’t quite have enough time to sail to Schiermonnikoop, but enjoyed sailing and cycling around Ameland which was getting an enlarged harbour. The year before I had used the mast up route to Leiden and was based at Hemmeland marina on the Marken. Hemmeland was very good as it had a 24/7 30min bus service to Amsterdam and therefore schiphol airport.

Is it the black tulip you are looking at at Lauwersoog. It looked rather nice for being left on the hard over a summer period.

Peter BosmanPeter Bosman

Yes it is, we are in the process of buying it. But there is another one for sale here, we will have a look at that before we make a final decision.

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

So did you buy Black Tulip or did the other one win and if so is it a MacWester.
    I am sailing in the Humber and East Coast UK this year but intend to return to the Netherlands in a couple of years when I have more free time.

Peter BosmanPeter Bosman

Well, time for an update.
    The MacWester in Lauwersoog is a nice one. But our friend, who we’d share the boat with, wanted a flat bottom in the end. So after that decision was made I started looking for a cheaper alternative. And we found number two on our wishlist, a Westerly Centaur, smaller and lighter but also a charming boat. And for only 3.000 euro!
    Our neighbours/friends were interested and joined us. (with a neat shared owners agreement.) And now we are sailing for a bargain.
    The Westerly Centaur is about 5 feet shorter. But for a 45-year old boat it is well documented and all the problems we encounter, as leaking windows, have been solved by other owners.

Cheers!

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

Do you know how much they were trying to sell black tulip for and whet condition it was in. It looked ok from the outside.

Peter BosmanPeter Bosman

Hi Peter,
    It is for sale for 20.000 euro. I guess you can buy it for 15.000.
    I had a good look at it. Seemed a good boat. Inside was OK too. Interior maybe a bit outdated like most 70’s ships.
    I liked the boat.
    Prices for Westerlys and MacWesters are better here in the Netherlands. Most ships seem also good maintained here.

regards Peter Bosman

Peter BosmanPeter Bosman

PS Better as in lower.

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

The macwesters are good when in a heavy sea because you feel they have experienced worse before. However, for day sailing a lighter boat is going to be better as you can avoid the bad weather. I very much liked sailing to the islands and Marken. Also down through the canal system to Leiden. I will be back again, but heading north up the east coast of U.K. next year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.