Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Wight Mk2 Steering Pedestal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cameron ThomasCameron Thomas
    Participant

I’m replacing the cockpit floor and starting under the steering pedestal where the plywood is disintegrating, which means removing the pedestal. I’ve managed to remove the machine screws through the floor and split the universal joint, and now need to drop the “gearbox” below the floor so I can remove the complete pedestal upwards (there’s very little excess movement and the mechanics seem in good condition so I’m reluctant to dismantle it bit by bit from above). I’ve removed the whitworth nuts holding the gearbox onto the bottom of the pedestal and a gentle tap suggests it is now free, but it shows no signs of dropping down (I was expecting it to some off easily as, in principle at least, it contains just two bevel gears that convert vertical motion to horizontal motion). Has anyone had the same problem please? Do I need to be brave and tap the gearbox a little harder, do I need to remove gearbox the side plate and withdraw the horizontal shaft with the nut on the end, or is my plan to leave most of the pedestal intact fatally flawed?

Rob WombwellRob Wombwell
    Keymaster

Hi Cameron,
    just a test to check for comments.

Stuart MarklewStuart Marklew
    Participant

Hi Cameron, did you manage to get the pedestal off, i am currently working on a new wheel pilot system and I may encounter the same issues on the Malin, and would be keen to hear how you got on,

Regards Stuart

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.