Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Macwester 27 Nora Harfield

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

I have a slight worry about mast foot depression on my Mac27, Nora Harfield She has a tabernacle and whilst I seal all around the plate she does seem to collect water. I have inspected below the plate and she remains dry at all times. Is this a common issue and should I be worried as I have a survey due July21.

Attached Images – click to enlarge:

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi

As long as under the plate is dry it should be ok is the mast support in side ok

A survey which you are going to have later
    this year will reveal any problems

chris

I worked for Macwester Marine from 1972 to 1978, on the sales staff. I owned a MkII 27 for 20 years until 2019.

I remember seeing the name Nora Harfield on that 27, but a senior moment as to the name of the first owners.

As I recollect, one of the issues that was addressed with the development of the updated MkII 27, which had a completely reworked deck moulding, was to eliminate that slight dishing of the rather large flat surface under the mast step.
    Perhaps other early MW 27 owners can reply with photos. That could confirm that the moulds were not perfect.

As Chris Nixon has already replied, a survey should flag up any indication of a weakness in the structure. If there is no suspicion that the bolts fixing the tabernacle have had been retightened to take up any collapse in the reinforcement, no star cracks in the gel coat around the tabernacle, nor any sign of movement of the grp reinforcements bonding between the bulkhead and deck roof, it looks like the moulds were to blame.

Just a last comment: as Macwesters have moderate sail areas and a rig with very wide spreaders (pretty well the same as the beam) and on early models, with lower shrouds going out to chainplates fitted to the hull, the stays are not at all overstressed.  They don’t need to be tightened up to sing a middle C when plucked, like on racing yachts.
    All the best.

Bob Tuffnell. Rochefort, France

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Thank you for those helpful comments.

The bulkhead supporting is fine.

Bob, see ssr ref original owner. The second owner Mr Benson died last September.A well kept M27, just hope I can continue to keep her as well as they did!

Richard FowlerRichard Fowler
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hello! My parents Mike and Nora Coleman ( nee Harfield and for whom the yacht was named) were the original owners in 1972. I’d love to know her location now as it would be great to see her and relive past adventures. Can anyone please tell me where she is now berthed? Many thanks. Richard</p>

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Richard

She is on the trots at the River Seiont, Caernarfon, North Wales. Prior to that she was on the council jetties at Conwy. I sail her extensively (all year round normally) North Wales, Anglesey and Llyn Peninsula. She is in good order her owner after Martin Benson who probably bought her from your father sailed channel islands and sold to Joey Jones a Liverpool Black cabbie. He sold to me in 2016.

I have just bought a Project Pelagian so sadly will have to let her go in 2022. If you want a trip out to possibly the most beautiful anchorage for a BBQ in the area let me know.

Mark Walton

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Back in 2016

Richard FowlerRichard Fowler
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Mark. Many thanks for contacting me and for the pics. Nice to see her looking so well. I’d love to see her again, but it looks unlikely that I will be in your area this summer, though maybe in the autumn. I’d love to swap stories about her over a pint though. Perhaps if we swapped email addresses I could email you when I am heading your way? Mine is richardcfowler@gmail.com</p>
    Many thanks

Regards

Richard

Paul BenzingPaul Benzing
    Participant

Hi there i am new here and have just purchased a 27.. I wondered if you could tell me whether its a mk1 or 2?

Paul BenzingPaul Benzing
    Participant

Hi there… Im new.. Can i put a 140kg solar system on a mac 27 1975? Any advice appreciated

Hi Paul

Could I suggest that you start a new thread on the forum for the solar panels question, please.

Briefly, my opinion is that the MW27 already  tends to be a bit stern-heavy, especially if you have a big Diesel engine ( the original specifications, and standard practice in the end of the ‘60’s for cruising boats was to fit a Stuart Turner 10 hp 2 stroke petrol engine, which  weighed only about 50 kg.) .

Too much weight aft means that the transom will be partially immerged , creating a lot of drag to the detriment of sailing and motoring performance. Addition of a gantry for solar panels would aggravate that considerably.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.