Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

I believe 10 built, but information on the web is sparse.

Any other owners in the association?

What if any similarities to the Malin and Seaforth?

Would love to here any info from anyone who has sailed one and any particulars at all. Thank you in anticipation.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jr5lk2xew79jtdl/AABxesyeXgJjxqyhCJ7NCylha?dl=0

An article which was published some time ago in the MOA Journal

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Bob

When I click on the link it returns folder is empty, we really need the archives in an easier repository.

If not how about an issue of USB drive included in the membership it would really help. I would donate to help if the committee approve.

Hello Mark, I own a Pelagian – Tarryon, built in 1972 and initially owned by a peer of the realm, whose name escapes me but I have some of the original documentation, so can provide more detail of her history if you’re interested. I believe there were 10 but have also seen reference to 30, although this may have included derivatives like the Wight, Malin etc. As you probably already know, she’s a ketch with a large, centre cockpit and lifting plate, drawing about 4′ – or 5’6″ with it down. Her biggest unique feature is that she’s twin-screw, originally (I believe) fitted with BMC ‘Captain’ 30 HP engines. Believe it or not, the previous owner of Tarryon, who restored her from a near-wreck, installed two BMC ‘Commander’ 50 HP engines! As you can imagine, she now has quite some power for a 33′, seven tonne vessel! I tend to stick to 1,000 revs for the sake of longevity (and noise-levels!) but she still makes 7-8 knots comfortably, and is a joy to handle in tight spaces like marinas because she can turn on her own axis, which makes your seamanship look better than it really is! I’ve owned Tarryon for three years but haven’t yet been able to sail her much. In my first season of ownership, I was concerned about the standing rigging, so tended to do a lot of motoring. She was, after all, designed as a motor-sailor, although many reviews over the years have concluded that Pelagians were also surprisingly good sailing boats, despite the compromise hull shape. Prior to buying her, Tarryon was owned by a motor mechanic for ten years or so. He did great things with the engines and general restoration, but he wasn’t that keen on sailing her, so having had a double off-season due to C-19, I  installed new standing rigging last summer and then had to await lifting of restrictions to get her back in the water last month, since when I’ve moved her from Pwllheli Marina to Conwy Marina. During that two-day passage, I sailed her through Bardsey Sound and she handled beautifully, albeit on a beam reach in fairly light winds and close to slack water. However, it was enough to make me look forward to the next opportunity to sail properly – hopefully to IoM or RoI this summer. I managed a detailed recce of potential mooring sites along the Menai Straits last Friday and spent a very peaceful night on a borrowed mooring at Gallows Point, Beaumaris – see image.

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Richard

Great news! I was beginning to feel like I had taken on an unknown. I have seen pics online of your boat in Holyhead marina with a guy I recognised but cannot place him. I have bought the one at Aberystwth. ‘Black Magic’, but she is in poor order. Twin BMC captains least of my worry!

Any info on the centre board cannot work out how and were as yet. Only just got the water out of the bilges! I am planning  to sail back to NW probably Port Penryn late summer and will have done the running rigging, sails and props as well as service to engines and wiring etc. Polished her hull and amasingly the gelcoat is gleaming! A lot of boat for what I paid and will be my final Mac. Need to talk about standing rigging etc maybe we could meet in the Mulberry sometime? My M27 originated from the council jetty and is now in the Afon Seiont, Caernarfon.

Yours Aye

Mark 07971 161888

Hi Mark, Yes – happy to meet up in the Mulberry. I only live an hour away, so am at the Marina frequently. The previous owner was Dave Preston – quite a large bloke tbh..you wouldn’t forget him. He did a lot of renovation work over about 10 years, mainly to the engines but he wasn’t really a sailing man, so I’ve renewed the standing rigging and laundered or upgraded the sails. The lifting plate mechanism on Tarryon is under the starboard berth in the aft cabin, just behind the cockpit bulkhead. You push a short lever across and pump the hydraulic mechanism (with a long, angled bar that slots in) until it stops – reverse the process (lever the other direction) to raise the plate. Of course, I’ve never actually seen it extended for obvious reasons, so tried to dive under her for a look whilst awaiting tide to access Barmouth Harbour in 2019 – couldn’t tell whether it was fully out, so now assume it is once the lever resists. Best, Richard.

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Richard,

Many thanks seen the angled bar just need to find the pump!

Are you about this bank holiday?

Hi Mark, apologies but have been offline a lot lately due to my partner being unwell. She’s better now, so we’re heading out this week-end for an overnighter in the Menai Straits. Then, we’re having a few days away around Anglesey between 1st & 6th July. We’ll probably head off anti-clockwise, starting with a night drying out on the beaching legs in Red Wharf Bay – and hopefully not so dry in the Min y Don! Obviously everything is weather and tide dependent but let me know if there’s anything I can do to help – or meet up somewhere? Regards, Richard.

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Richard

My condolences to your good lady, but alas now seaworthy! Maybe I could meet up during the tail end of your trip perhaps in Pilots Cove or Abermenia or Menia Bridge . Just got to see your beaching legs! I have plans this and that midweek on, ‘Black Magic’. Prep and paint hull etc. Just message me prior to last w/e.  Mark 07971 161888 Many thanks.

Jeroen luttersJeroen lutters
    Participant

Mark

Black magic has sail No 10

First owner mr Hamar

2 X BMC 32 bph

London boat show boat

Last boat od the mould

Participant

Richard

Tarryon Has sail no P3

Build 1972

First owner lord Watkinson

Sail area 420

Original engines newage 2x 50 bhp

Also used sailnumber 1817y

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

Jeroen

Wow!

Thanks not a lot of info about! So mine is the last of 10 that puts a lot of numbers to bed. Some say 10 some say 30! How do you know such things?

Many thanks.

Participant

When I bought my Pelagian I was interested to find out the history especially its original name so I contacted

the son of c.s.j.Roy  the designer and he send me a paper with all 10 build Pelagians and a document written by Stuart Roy himself (this was all he had) regrettably with a lot of gaps.

I bought a number of lloyds register books and found some boats with more info

and spoke the then owners of p1 ,p2,p3. p5 and p10.

I am quit sure mine is p4 but strangely my hull number is h332 so something is swapped and still don’t know it original name.

Some one a idea where to look further?

Black Magic was the star of the Macwester stand at the Amsterdam boat show, when new. Philip Hamers was the importer/sales agent for the Netherlands. Can’t remember if he kept the boat for himself, or sold on to a customer.

I will have a look in my old photos, see if I can find anything.

Mark WaltonMark Walton
    Participant

B Z Super effort everyone! Only an association with such provenance could come up with such info many thanks indeed to all concerned. Black Magic will be in good hands, she is coming on well and will soon leave Abermarina as she should, under her own power! The manager has much admired my efforts and is almost emotional about seeing her on the water. I shall berth her at Penryn until lift out and then its rigging time…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.