Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Small leak from behind the stern gland

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt CollinsMatt Collins
    Participant

Hi all,

I have recently taken ownership of ‘Magna’, a Macwester 26 and given her a bit of a much needed face lift….

My first sailing trip a few days ago was a great success but on return while inspecting the stern gland I noticed a rapid drip drip drip that seemed to be coming from behind the stern gland running down the small bulk head that the stern gland sits against, please see photo.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this drip or where it is coming from and how I might go about fixing it….

Many thanks…..

Matt Collins

PS, I will post some pics of my boat at some point… I have uploaded a video of it moored at Runswick Bay onto youtube (search – Matt Collins Magna trip) if you fancy a look….?

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi there.

it’s a chance it could be capillary action and you might be able to dismantle the stern gland , repack it with string and grease, tighten up and see if that cures it.

if not, you need to take the boat out of the water, unscrew the gland from the tube (you may have to remove the small bulkhead and replace). When you re-screw the gland back on to the tube use a very liberal amount of PTFE which will stop any leaks on the tube.

if you have to remove the small bulkhead, clean the hull thoroughly before fibre glassing the a new bulkhead in.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Sorry – that should say liquid PTFE</p>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.