Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Extending a MW 26 Keels

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Toby LineToby Line
    Participant

I’m toying with the idea of extending the bilge fins by 8″. I have two ideas for this:

1) A stainless steel shoe foreach fin that will be screwed and fibreglassed into each fin and have H supports throughout fixed to the bottom of the fin to support the weight.

2) I drill into the fins from underneath and chemfix 10mm studs that will be slightly bent. I will then make a metal shoe that will be filled with wet concrete, jack it up to the fin and then screw into the fin. After I will fair it in and fibreglass it so its encased (so the weight is supported with concrete, fixings and fibreglass.

I’m under no illusion as to the time this will take and I will get a naval architect to look over the idea before I go ahead. My question are:

– Has something like this ever been done before?
    – Will an additional 8″ make a noticeable difference to the leeway?
    – Is the centre of gravity aft between the fins and the skeg meaning it will be unbalanced if I didn’t extend the skeg as well?

As I said, I’m toying with the idea but any input would be appreciated.

Toby

Macwester Marine did that in 1972, in fact they shortened the fibreglass keel mouldings, and bolted on specially developed profiled cast iron keels, with 4 stainless 1” diameter bolts. The skeg was deepened, reprofiled, and even the bow shape modernised and extended a bit. The result was the Macwester 27!! LOL

Joking apart, modifying the hull or keel structure is not honestly realistic. No insurance company would cover you in the event of problems arising.

If you really want more performance look for a 27. There are some on the market at quite reasonable prices, for example in Guernesey a Mk 2 probably 1977 model for £2500, pretty well equipped, with a 25 hp Volvo diesel, ready to sail away. Interior needs tidying up, no doubt, but well worth the money.

Happy sailing!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.