Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leonard BADDELEYLeonard BADDELEY
    Participant

Does anyone know for certain that Macwester gave hulls numbers, if so were they on a plate, wood plaque, or cast into the fibre glass?
    I was told that I would find the hull number on my 1971 Wight 30 Yawl on the bulkhead of the aft cabin. I have looked but cannot find a number. Unless it is cast in the glass-fibre under the wood trim one or other side if the companion way, I do not want to remove wood trim only to find nothing. Does the Association have a copy of the hull numbers?

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

Hi Leonard,
    I believe they were stamped into the fibreglass somewhere near the rudder on the outside of the boat.
    I am hoping that Bob Tuffnell will also answer your post, as he actually worked at Macwester Yachts.
    The MOA does not hold a record of any hull numbers.
    Is there any particular reason why you need to find this information?

Chris
    Technical Officer

Hi Leonard.
    Yes there were hull numbers on the port side of the skeg, about a foot forward of the cutlass bearing. Easily lost under the antifouling, as they were just plastic adhesive numbers and letters stuck on the mould, before applying the gelcoat.
    In the 1970’s the format was:H27134
    H = hull ( as there was also a D for deck, inside the port cockpit locker opening)
    27 = MW 27; 22 for Rowan 22, 30, or 32, etc.
    «134 » was like a serial number, in the model range . Will try to post a photo in “Photo Gallery”
    Unfortunately, as Chris comments, no records were recovered after the closing of Trident Marine. Everything went in the bin. ?

Leonard BADDELEYLeonard BADDELEY
    Participant

Hi both, no real need to know the number, but it would be nice to know. I have most of the paperwork from when the boat was first built. In the original Certificate of British Registry it say official number 35728. Name, Gabbo. Built, Little Hampton When Built, 1971. Registered 1972 Macwester Maine Co Ltd. Owner, Marion Chambler, House wife, Kenneth Chambler Medical Practitioner. (and the address in Healthfeild Sussex) It was later sold and the name changed to Malabar. It was in Chichester for some time where it was converted to a “live aboard” in Chichester Harbour and the name changed to Lavantian. It is still called Lavantian. Converting it back from a “live aboard” has been quite a task, the hull was lined with one inch polystyrene, then plastered over! A wood burning stove was put in the front between the bunks and sheets of steel bolted against the glass fibre lockers.In short the boat was in a real mess when I bought it. The only redeeming things were, the hull was epoxied, and a new Beta 35hp engine.gearbox shaft and prop were installed, and all the standing rigging replaced, then the boat went almost no where, the engine/gearbox/shaft and prop have only done 370 hours. I paid less than the cost of the engine for the boat, but have spent a lot on trying to update the boat and replace all the old galvanized steel work, still it keeps me active.

Mario ParrocoMario Parroco
    Participant

Ciao, this is the hull number I discovered last year on my boat when I completely sanded the hull for primer and antifouling. It’s H3048, I guess. I have a sloop measuring 9,95 meters LOA (I’ve checked it directly), maybe 30 is the water line length, LWL, is that correct ?

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.