Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Grunter CGrunter C
    Participant

It feels a bit cheeky to finally be posting here as I do intend to sell up, that said I have carried out a number of tasks that some may find interesting.  I love the boat but I really need more headroom. I will post some of the progress pics up as I recover them from my old PC. In the meantime this is her at present mooring on the river neath. She only floats here on a 9m+ tide so I am not getting to use her at the moment but it is a decent enough spot for me to finish her off.

You must be logged in to view attachments.

CWMA (UK)CWMA (UK)
    Participant

Hi! I’m new here too, but welcome.

Yes! lots of pictures please!

It will be interesting to see what she sells for.

Grunter CGrunter C
    Participant

Well there was a lot of cleaning and drying out before I could really get started, this gives an idea of the condition I bought her in. It is nice that she has been rescued but I personally would not buy a project boat again.  A good scrub of the topsides and hull had her looking a completely different boat, though that was the easy part.

Grunter CGrunter C
    Participant

First major job was the galley, It soon became apparent that the bulkhead was shot and needed replacement. I had some leftover laminate and used that to create a template, there were those that laughed thinking I was making the new bulkhead out of laminate. While it was a drawn out process it works well and the material used was only destined for the skip anyway.

Grunter CGrunter C
    Participant

New bulkhead was cut from the template and offered up to mark for scarfing, I decided to come back past the step in the deck to help maintain its shape, It would have been cleaner looking repair if I had joined it closer to the vertical edge but I did not want to chance it as I already had the mast slackened a little and propped from underneath during the process. I made a bit of a mess with the resin while doing the tabbing which is a shame as there was a nice grain on this face of the ply. Main structural rigidity was restored though and that was the important thing.

CWMA (UK)CWMA (UK)
    Participant

Poor baby! She looks so sorry for herself in the first two images.

What did you use to remove the external mildew? Good job!

Cardboard boxes make great templates – also the packing boxes from engines (local chandlery will be struggling to dispose of this stuff and might even pay you to remove it hehe).

The laminate flooring will have raised eyebrows – theres a large derelict on the r. Dart at the moment where bog standard laminates were used on the cabin sole and other interior areas… woops.

Your repair looks great – whole chunks of that area are hidden by the galley in any case.

I would argue all boats are project boats … it’s just that some are more project than boat!

Mike HotardMike Hotard
    Participant

Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Shame you are thinking of selling her. If you spend your time out sailing you wont have to worry about the headroom. Lol

Grunter CGrunter C
    Participant

I cant say I remember exactly what I used to clean her but sugar soap or bleach with manual agitation is my usual method, I am not a fan of pressure washing deck areas as it usually creates more work than it saves. The laminate actually works really well for a template with the pieces being able to slide you can keep trimming until you are happy with it and then fix them together. Cardboard is ok to get close, but the laminate template made it a single cut and fit job. For the next bulkhead I did use a different method though and will show that when I get the pics together.

Yes, In hindsight I should have lowered the cabin sole when I changed all the stringers to give more headroom but at the time rain would still find its way in so I placed a greater priority on keeping a bilge.

Pic is of what I believe to be a common problem area, I often see this area covered with something in sale pictures of other boats. The problem with mine was the deck fitting for the fresh water tank fill, it was too close to the bulkhead. With the pipe touching the bulkhead, condensation had a route to cause trouble in this corner. I had originally thought the stanchion was the problem but after resealing it the area did not dry up, resulting in this ‘bigger job than I thought’ exploration.

Kirsteen RKirsteen R
    Participant

I like what you’ve done with the laminate , it looks very effective . I might look at doing something similar thanks for the tip !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.