Home Noticeboard Sailing & Cruising Forum Places to Anchor and Moor Around the UK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

I am planning to sail around the UK when I have a little more time in a couple of years. Can anyone help by suggesting places I might stop and sections of coast and inlets I should spend a little extra time exploring. The available books all refer to rushing around in 50 days or less with fin keels which are unable to take the ground and so have limited access to many of the UKs smaller harbours and moorings. I am thinking the Macwester White bilge keel I have will be ideal for such an exploration.

Christopher JonesChristopher Jones
    Participant

Where are you sailing from Peter??

It might spoil the adventure of finding new places but I find Keep Turning Left a great source of interesting places to go. Basically sail out into the sea and then turn left until you cannot go any further then do it again, and again! Seriously, Dylan Winter is not everyone’s cuppa but he has explored some amazing places. https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/ and his video skills are among the best.

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

We would love to welcome you to the River Orwell and Ipswich when you are on the east coast. Our rivers, the Orwell, Stour and Deben, offer lots of shelter and nice friendly marinas.
    Chris and Linda

Chris NixonChris Nixon
    Keymaster

We would love to welcome you to the River Orwell and Ipswich when you are on the east coast. Our rivers, the Orwell, Stour and Deben, offer lots of shelter and nice friendly marinas.
    Chris and Linda

Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Participant

I will be starting from Hull marina where Cathy is current moored. I have plans to explore the Humber and as far as the wash and Wells this year but then move north to Whitby or Hartlepool next year. From there I hope to explore the Northumberland coast before moving on. I am more inspired by Dylan Winter and turning left than rushing round in 10 to 50 days like the several books I have found offer. Where I then go will depend on the time I have but am interested to explore the inlets and coves a bilge keel boat can access

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.