Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Recommend a Volvo mechanic?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donald StodartDonald Stodart
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a mechanic who would be willing to repair an old Volvo MD11C. My problem is sea water getting into the lub oil.  I thought worn water pump seals, so a local chap (Edinburgh) exchanged the water pump for one off an old engine he had in his shed, but it seems to be just as bad. He also changed the injector fuel pump which was seized, that now works, but the response to the governor is intermittent. (and the oil is emulsifying anyway). The people I have spoken to all want to sell me a new engine, which I can’t afford when fitting is included, and I will not live long enough anyway to get “value for money”. I could probably buy a whole 27 with a younger engine for less than they are quoting, but mine is set up for single handed sailing and I like it, and then have the problem of getting rid of mine, as I don’t need two!!  I can take the engine out and send it wherever on a pallet by courier or in a trailer depending on distance.  Many thanks.

Can’t help to find you an engine mechanic, but here are a couple of ideas to follow up:

Pretty unlikely to be coming from the raw water pump as there are 2 seals on that drive shaft: one to keep the oil in the sump, and the other to keep the water from getting out of the housing of the impeller. In between the two, there is a vent hole, and if one or the other is leaking, the respective fluid will be dripping out into the bilges.

The most likely issue is with a cylinder head gasket corroded or broken, which allows water from the cooling jacket around the cylinder head to get into the space where the valve rocker push rods go to the very top of the engine, and the oil that is fed under pressure to the rocker shaft drains back down to the oil sump.

These engines are very simple, and require no special tools to remove the cylinder heads, with the engine still in the boat. If you, or one of your friends feel up to doing that, you can see on the photo, (where the yellow dots are) the part of the gasket that separates the water from the oil. Any weakness in that area could allow the water to get into the sump.

You must be logged in to view attachments.

Donald StodartDonald Stodart
    Participant

Thank you. Looks plausible. Next question: are gaskets still available? From?  Small problem if exhaust manifold need to come off, I know there is one bolt which is stuck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.